Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Because I Care, Thoughts and Prayers
Sympathy card

Don't you just love the simple beauty of this card. I was so inspired by the card Tina Dyck posted on Splitcoast Stampers. Members can see her card here.
I always like to try and change at least three things when I use another persons idea, but I seriously had a hard time comming up with any changes, I love it exactly as it was. If you cannot view her card I will explain my changes. I left off the brads and bow (going with a knot instead), as I striving for simple elegance. I went with most of her colors, substituting the Certainly Celery for the retired Kiwi Kiss. I also used a mask on my Hydrangea, stamping it directly on the card. On her card, she stamped on another piece of paper and cut out, then applied to the card. I know, I know, you are saying, Janet your card almost always involve alot of cutting, and this time, no cutting at all, what's up with that? Remember, I was going for simple elegance. The final change was in the coloring of the flower. She also used Cherry Cobbler and an Aqua Painter, then after dry added shading with a blend pen. I did my shading with the Aqua Painter also. While I love the dramatic deep color of her flower, I also like the softness of mine. Thank you Tina, so much for your beautiful card, for without it, I would not have created this wonderful card. The best news of all is that this card will be one of the projects we will be making in my July Stamp camp. Click on my calendar for dates and times.

All Supplies Stampin' Up!
Stamps: Because I Care (new level 1 hostess set) and Thoughts and Prayers Inside)
Paper: Basic Black and Whisper White
Ink: StazOn Black, Cherry Cobbler (new color!), Certainly Celery, Old Olive and Crumb Cake (new color, was formally Kraft and we only had paper, now we also have ink, Yahoo!!!)
Accessories: 5/8" Basic Black Satin ribbon, Stampin' Sponges, Aqua Painter,

Instructions: To make the wonderful shaded rectangle on the card, cut a piece of scrap cardstock 5 1/4" x 4" and using your Paper cutter (You need the cutter with the orange blade, that slides between a clear rail, this blade has marking on all four sides, so you can cut out a portion of the inside perfectly) I cut 3/4" in all all four sides, leaving me a 3/4" frame. I Stamped the Hydrangea in StazOn, colored then covered with a mask, placed my frame on top and sponged in the open area with Crumb Cake classic ink. This frame is just like your mask, you can reused it again, again and again. Notice how on my mask I didn't have to sponge in the upper right had corner, because that is where I had my mask for the Hydrangea.

No comments: